The Tax Preparers provide free, quality tax return preparation for eligible taxpayers. Using the information provided by the client, and by asking follow up questions, completes the tax return and reviews the final return with the client. To establish and insure the greatest degree of trust, the Tax Preparers are responsible for preparing accurate tax returns and must uphold the highest ethical standards.
- Attend and successfully complete the training to be certified by the IRS.
- Successfully learn the tax preparation software to complete tax returns and prepare returns using electronic filing software.
- Interview the client to determine that all income is reported and all allowable deductions are claimed.
- Directly prepare the client’s return, based upon the information provided by the client and the client’s answers provided on the intake form.
- Prepare only those returns for which training and certification were provided.
- Accept no payment or other compensation of any kind from the client.
- Inform/refer the client to the other services offered through the VITA site.
- Maintain the confidentiality of the client’s information.
- Ensure that on-site quality review is performed on the return.
- Have the client sign the applicable authorization documents for electronic filing.
- Timely review all returns for tax and technical accuracy before the returns are provided to the clients or electronically transmitted.
- Basic computer skills for inputting tax return data into the tax preparation software.
- Ability to communicate effectively, including the ability to interview clients about personal, financial matters and communicating tax issues to clients in a non-threatening manner.
- Ability to effectively research tax issues, using the materials available at the site.
- Ability to service low-income communities a helpful and supportive manner.
- Friendly, dependable and flexible and detail oriented.
- Candidates should have knowledge of personal income taxes as well as tax law knowledge.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) is a definite plus