Special Education Lead Teacher
Our client provides a multitude of services to people with developmental disabilities. With caring and great resources at hand, they know what it takes to help people live fuller, happier, healthier lives. Our employees show their commitment to the people they support every day, and they all deliver on their promise to provide innovative and comprehensive services to individuals with developmental disabilities.
Under general direction, is responsible for conducting educational classes for special education preschool and school age students or Early Intervention, Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) or Day Care programs in accordance with the needs of the students and in accordance with the regulations and requirements of the applicable governmental and other regulatory agencies. Acts as team leader of each student’s team. The Teacher is a management position and supervisory position. Is responsible for supervising Teacher Assistants assigned to his/her team. Interviews, effectively recommends hire, discipline termination, and suspension; resolving grievances, schedules, orient; responsibly directs; completes probationary and annual evaluations; and commends Teacher Assistants.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities of the Teacher will include but are not limited to the following.
• Plans and conducts classes/activities adapted to needs of students.
• Assesses and prepares IFSP/IEP’s. Implements and evaluates short and long-term goals and objectives.
• Participates in activities pertaining to student transitioning.
• Participates in Initial Evaluations and Intake processes.
• Provides educational assessment and evaluation on students annually in all educational domains.
• Prepares and adapts all individual and group lesson plans and materials, equipment and furniture arrangement and necessary modifications of environment.
• Maintains records of daily attendance and progress. Writes periodic progress reports, annual reports and other data as requested.
• Ensures that services are rendered to students with utmost regard for their personal dignity, privacy and confidentiality.
• Participates in activities outside the classroom where necessary i.e. trips, pool, gym, libraries, lab, etc.
• Serves and participates as a member at interdisciplinary team meetings, Annual Reviews, Parent Meetings, Special Review Committee meetings, In-Services, etc. as required.
• Attends regular staff meetings, student reviews, district meetings and conferences.
• Orients, trains, evaluates, delegates, supervises work of and effectively recommends hiring, disciplining, suspending and terminating of Teacher Assistants assigned to his/her team.
• Obtains approval, requisitions and purchases class equipment and materials.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Master’s Degree required
• New York State Certification in Special Education for Special Education Teachers
• New York State Certification in Early Childhood Education or N-6 (for Day Care and UPK Teachers)
• Meet all additional NY State Certification requirements
- FULL Comprehensive Benefits Package (Medical/Dental/Vision/Life/Education Assistance Program
- Commuter Reimbursement
- 401k, Vacation, PTO, Sick, Holiday Pay
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 7:30am-4pm (with 1 hour lunch)
We are an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and expression), marital or familial status, age, physical or mental disability, perceived disability, citizenship status, service in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. Applications from members of minority groups and women are encouraged.