A Real Estate company in Brooklyn, NY seeks a Senior Accountant to oversee a residential portfolio of fair market and affordable properties. The ideal senior accountant candidate will be a CPA with residential real estate experience, working with HUD, and experience using with Yardi.
• Supervise accounting team, inclusive of AR, AP, Bookkeepers, etc.
• Prepare financial reports for selected projects in the portfolio
• Review financial reports prepared by accountants including, but not limited to: Annual budgets, annual, quarterly and monthly variance reports, surplus cash computations, monthly management reports and quarterly replacement reserve balances
• Lead the budgeting process and track deliverables for each property.
• Maintain and/or update standard operating procedures and internal controls within the accounting department.
• Review monthly closing procedure and track all applicable deliverables
• Establish tracking system for recurring payables and subsidy payments
• Prepare and maintain a portfolio mortgage schedule abstract with salient terms
• Prepare a daily cash flow analysis
• Review draft audited financial statements prepared by auditors, Review entries proposed by auditors, discuss and compose management letters with auditors and owners, coordinate and monitor audits/work of outside CPA, develop audit schedules with auditors, site and central office staff, and owners.
• Liaison with banks and manage bank accounts, monitor cash flow of all managed properties, approve wire transfers, review and approve expenditures of more than $3,000.
• Maintain chart of accounts and financial groupings.
• Perform other administrative and accounting functions, in support of the CFO, as requested.
• Bachelors Degree in Accounting required
• CPA preferred
• 5+ years of experience with progressive affordable housing knowledge
• Knowledge of Low Income Housing Tax Credit and HUD is required
• Proficiency in Yardi or MRI strongly preferred
• Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Strong communication and organizational skills
• Experience with HUD
• Experience with residential real estate