The Purchasing and Office Services Director is responsible for organizing and managing the operations and activities involved in the purchasing of supplies, equipment, and services for the agency and overseeing office services at the agency. The Purchasing and Office Services Director evaluates and selects vendors based on stability, performance and service/product offerings; coordinates and directs the bidding process to meet agency needs and assures smooth, efficient, and cost-effective results are achieved. The Director operates within the agency’s specified purchasing policies and procedures to assure that the highest quality resources and services are obtained. Additionally, the Director is responsible for managing administrative support within the office to ensure smooth office operations, including reception area, mailroom, conference rooms and general office services.
- Responsible for the daily operation of the agency’s purchasing department, including timely feedback to relevant staff on delays or barriers.
- Work in conjunction with other agency departments to select vendors who can provide the agency with exceptional services and pricing, and who exhibit an understanding of the agency’s mission. Manage vendor relationships and track vendor performance.
- Develop, in conjunction with senior management, strategic procurement practices, including recommendations and implementation of technological and reporting improvements.
- Utilize best purchasing practices as specified in the agency purchasing manual to effectively procure goods and services at the best strategic advantage to the agency, maintaining the highest ethical standards at all times.
- Develop, implement, enforce and maintain agency purchasing policies and procedures to provide an efficient and effective purchasing operation. Maintain and periodically update the agency’s purchasing policy manual.
- Prepare or approve specifications for all purchases, create bid documentation and manage the bid process as specified in the agency purchasing policy manual. Ensure competitive bidding requirements are met. Review recommendations to ensure accepted bids meet the specifications, terms and conditions of the request and that the best value and service levels are achieved.
- Reconcile all invoices and receiving documents for submission to the fiscal department for payment. Resolve any discrepancies that may delay the payment process. Ensure requests for payment are allocated properly.
- Develop and roll-out training for key staff on purchasing procedures and processes.
- Develop and implement cost saving measures, identifying waste and recommending improvement.
- Develop purchasing activity reporting.
- Work with agency staff to develop refurbishment and replenishment schedules that best suit the agency’s needs.
- Manage the agency-wide copier and printer service contracts.
- Maintain inventory of agency’s fixed assets.
- Provide input and cost analysis on complex contracts and current vendor services as needed.
- Provide supervision to assigned staff so that agency and program goals are communicated effectively, job performance is continuously evaluated, and appropriate training is given.
- Oversee functioning of reception area, mailroom and office operations.
- Oversee conference room services, including set-up and clean-up for all central office conference rooms.
- Oversee the processing of all work orders for 2 Washington Street and provide timely follow-up to relevant staff regarding any incomplete work orders or projects.
- Oversee set-up and management of agency-wide landlines, phone systems, CCTV systems, perimeter alarms, keys, FOBS and band-width.
- Oversee management of agency cell phones, including review of usage and recouping overage charges.
- Attend and participate in supervision, meetings and training sessions, as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Have an understanding, appreciation, and commitment to the philosophy and mission of the agency.
- Minimum of seven of ten years of experience in purchasing/procurement services, in healthcare/social service or related industry, preferred.
- Minimum of five years of administrative and supervisory experience.
- Possess basic knowledge of accounting principles related to supply chain and purchasing.
- Experience effectively evaluating and comparing bids submitted by vendors.
- Experience in accurately preparing/approving specifications for purchases, selecting vendors for bids, and analyzing quotations.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent (GED) - Bachelor’s degree in related field, preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills, time management and planning skills.
- Advanced analytical and innovative problem solving abilities.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to utilize various computer programs, specifically Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Be creative and flexible.
- Show initiative and be responsible for follow through.
- Ability to maintain confidential information, as related to position.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Ability to accurately advise the agency management and staff on all phases of purchasing.