We are currently looking to fill 4 contract positions for about 4 months. In this role you will be the point person to review and issue permit applications for all phases of construction, mostly those on less complex projects while also acting at the clerical support for the permit counter. The ideal candidates will bring 3 years of varied permit processing experience in a building department or 1-year experience in the construction industry.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
· Advise the public on permit requirements and the permit application process.
· Research, review, and verify contractor information, homeowner information and application for completeness and accuracy.
· Calculate and assess appropriate fees and issue permits for building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical.
· Data entry onto an automated permit system which will also include uploading and downloading of documents.
· Research permit application status and records.
· Route applications and permits to other appropriate departments and/or outside agencies.
· Verify contractors licenses, City business tax certificate, workers compensation, insurance, and property ownership.
· Retrieve and file documents.
Skills and Knowledge needed include:
· Proficient in Adobe, Excel, Internet Browsers and Outlook. (Must be able to utilize multiple windows opened at one time).
· Excellent customer service skills. Will require you to answer phones and greet the visitors and applicants.
· Ability to work well under pressure with the public while maintaining a professional demeanor.
· Basic mathematics.
· Able to keep detailed records and filing accuracy.
· Willing to learn to read blueprints.