On Call Counsel is seeking an attorney with 3 - 5 years litigation experience for a temp to perm opportunity. The office location is downtown Brooklyn. In this role, you will focus on settling pre-litigation matters in state court. Candidates must be admitted to practice in New York State.
- Investigate and respond to notices and/or due process complaints tasks include reviewing internal documents, interviewing staff, and conducting legal research.
- Perform legal research assigned and make recommendations.
- Make recommendations for case direction, including litigation, settlement, or referral for other resolution.
- Review administrative decisions.
- Negotiate, draft, and process stipulations of settlement regarding claims. Such tasks include: review of documents submitted by the opposing counsel and recommend appropriate settlement; researching state and federal case law and implications for settlement negotiations; negotiating settlement with opposing counsel; draft, review, and negotiate language for stipulations of settlements; coordinating and monitor the implementation of stipulated agreements; and review and negotiate claims for attorneys fees.
- Under supervision, prepare and try cases before an administrative hearing officer.
- Litigation tasks may include: selecting and preparing evidence, preparing legal strategies and arguments, preparing witness questions and preparing witnesses for impartial hearings, preparing briefs, motions, legal opinions, affidavits, memoranda, subpoenas, and/or other legal papers.
- Maintain appropriate records on cases filed for impartial hearings, respond to due process complaints, and determine the Departments obligations to parents and students pursuant to impartial hearing orders.
- Gather evidence and assist in researching issues
- Provide and review draft subpoenas, motions, legal research, memoranda, and documents.
- Admission to the New York State Bar
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to understand provisions of applicable laws and regulations.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Litigation experience.
- Efficient legal research skills.