Midtown Law Firm is seeking a Legal Assistant to provide administrative, legal secretarial, and/or clerical support for assigned lawyers and other members of the Firm on an as-needed basis. Enhances attorney effectiveness by developing case information, evidence, and settlement options; tracking cases; supporting attorney's trial proceedings.
- Create, edit, format and produce Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents as needed according to Proskauer standards
- Provide assistance with ongoing projects to ensure consistency and accuracy
- Provide telephone coverage to assigned/backup lawyers
- Create new business forms and files as required
- Complete and submit Expense Forms and Check Requests in a timely manner as required Arrange for travel, seminars, conferences, etc. as needed
- Manage lawyer calendar appointments for client meetings, conference calls, etc.
- Assist with time entries and billing as needed
- Perform routine administrative tasks, such as printing, scanning, copying messenger service, etc.
- Work as part of secretarial floor teams to provide assistance to all lawyers
- Provide overflow support as needed
- Keeps cases organized by establishing and organizing files; monitoring calendars; meeting deadlines; documenting actions; inputting information into file database and case management software; confirming case status with attorney.
- Helps develop cases by maintaining contact with people involved in the case; scheduling depositions; preparing and forwarding summonses and subpoenas; drafting complaints; preparing and filing discovery requests; preparing responses to opposing counsel; generating status reports.
- Keeps clients informed by maintaining contact; communicating case progress.
- Maintains case costs by verifying outstanding balances with attorney, clients, and providers.
- Supports case preparation by preparing case summaries and materials for mediation conferences; preparing pleadings; monitoring and obtaining discovery responses; organizing materials for team case review.
- Enhances trial proceedings by organizing evidence; preparing exhibits; scheduling witnesses; ensuring that witnesses are ready when needed; taking courtroom notes.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments
- Bachelor's Degree At least 2 years of legal experience
- Ability to maintain confidentiality dealing with sensitive information and client matters.
- Flexibility and willingness to work on various assignments, with various attorneys and staff, including overtime as needed
- Ability to maintain composure in a high-pressure, fast paced environment
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- The ability to type 50-60 wpm
- Reporting Skills, Research Skills, Legal Administration Skills, Litigation, Client
- Relationships, Organization, Planning, Attention to Detail, Confidentiality,
- Dependability, Client Confidentiality