Our client is the largest youth tennis and education nonprofit organization in the nation reaching more than 85,000 NYC children. They offer comprehensive after-school and community tennis programs to youth 5-18 years of age throughout all five New York City boroughs.
Our client seeks a Human Resources Generalist to support the daily operations of its HR department. Duties include but are not limited to: hiring and interviewing staff; developing and enforcing company policies and practices; implementing effective recruiting and staffing strategies; designing and planning staff training; and coordinating activities with the agency’s finance/payroll department. The Generalist will report to the Director of Human Resources and be located at our headquarters in Long Island City, Queens.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with departmental managers to discern the skills and competencies required for vacancies
- Source candidates, perform interviews, and manage the hiring of qualified job applicants
- Facilitate the new-hire onboarding process with the aim of delivering an exemplary first-day experience
- Handle all administrative tasks for onboarding, new hire orientation and exit interviews, ensuring the accuracy and compliance of data entered in the HR information systems
- Serve as an effective HR advisor to employees in relation to absence and health issues, conduct and capability, grievances, organizational change, separation, and other sensitive matters
- Maintain employee files and data: salary/wages, incentive pay, paid time off, fringe benefits, expense reimbursements, other personal and professional information
- Assist with the communication, interpretation, and updates of the employee handbook, employee directory, organizational charts
- Participate in agency outreach for talent recruitment and retention: job fairs, hosting in-house events, etc.
- Develop departmental training and career enhancement plans
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business, or Communications
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in HR (more a plus)
- Experience managing clearances for schools a PLUS
- Prior experience with enterprise HRIS modules (Paychex, ADP, PeopleSoft, etc.) mandatory
- Broad familiarity with payroll concepts, processes, regulations, and terminology
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Ability to manage projects and coordinate resources with accuracy and timeliness
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- nonprofit experience, preferably with a human service organization