NYC Firm seeking Document Review Associate/Attorney with prior experience in processing New York Freedom of information Law requests for correspondence and reviewing voluminous records for responsiveness and the applicability of FOIL exemptions. Alternatively, equivalent e-discovery project management and document review experience.
- Must be admitted to practice law in NYS.
- Coordinates with and assists the Central Records Access Officer (CRAO) in implementing Department policy and legal mandates related to FOIL requests.
- Handles FOIL requests and appeals.
- Communicates with the press, government officials and other individuals on actual or potential requests and coordinates press requests with the Office of Communications and Media Relations.
- Provides ongoing technical assistance to DOE staff. Manages formal staff development, where needed.
- Maintains and utilizes an office database to monitor compliance, e.g., timeliness of responses, appropriateness of released materials, etc.
- Makes recommendations to the CRAO regarding FOIL appeals and assists with document redactions, as needed.
- Provides ongoing technical assistance on various subpoena and records issues, including FERPA, discovery demands for tort litigation and records retention, and assists with the supervision of the Subpoena Unit.
- Prepares documents in response to court orders on subpoenas, and appears in court if needed.
- Coordinates with the NYC Law Department on strategy, papers and discovery in related litigation and recommends settlements and adjustments.
- Analyzes and reports on the effects of city, state, and federal legislation.
Experience using Logikcull or equivalent e-discovery software, Microsoft Office’s Protection Center and other e-discovery tools, Microsoft Excel (including the ability to write formulas), Microsoft Access, Adobe Acrobat. Strong legal research capabilities.
Please submit resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org