- This position is for a Crisis Stabilization Registered Nurse, working within the Crisis Stabilization Unit (CSU). The CSU provides youth and families with a safe, structured, child-friendly, and supportive place to address mental health needs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Nurse works within a multidisciplinary team and is responsible for triaging crisis cases, medically assessing and clearing clients, providing crisis intervention services, completing ongoing assessments and documentation, providing care coordination and administrative support, and working with the team to ensure successful linkages to appropriate services. This is done within a fast-paced environment that consistently fluctuates in the number of clients being served at any particular time (maximum four).
- The is a non-exempt, 31.5 hours a week position, Sunday through Tuesday from 1:00 pm to 11:30 pm. The program may consider an applicant seeking a 40/hour work week.?This is a fully benefited position including medical, dental, and vision coverage.
- Ability to medically clear client for admission to unit
- Ability to 5585 clients
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate with a team of crisis evaluation and intervention professionals to rapidly assess client’s needs and make recommendations for placement
- Ability to assess response of children to behavioral and medical interventions
- Documents all treatments and medical needs in appropriate logs, notes, etc.
- Documents changes in medical and behavioral status in appropriate logs
- Ability to communicate changes accurately and thoroughly in client’s medical and behavioral status
- Effectively communicate with CSU team
- Respond to all medical emergencies
- Sensitive to the cultural diversity of employees and clients
- Assess clients for signs and symptoms of behaviors indicating need for transfer to Emergency room
- Collaborates with CSU staff to provide Crisis Triage in a timely manner
- Responsible for contacting psychiatrist and or psychiatric nurse practitioner for medication orders, carrying them out and documenting on designated forms
- Efficiently and accurately prepares and administers all medications
- Advocates for clients on health-related issues as needed
- Triage crisis cases within a multidisciplinary setting to include collaboration with many agencies such as police, fire, Child Crisis, CPS, HSA, local hospitals
- Bills for approved services
- Consults daily with Nursing Director
- Follows specific CSU clinical policies and procedures
- Educate families, clients and other staff on health-related issues and medications
- Collaborates with caregivers, medical professionals and others involved in client’s care to review client’s medication regimen at discharge
- Gathers collateral medical information such as lab results and vital signs from referring emergency departments, EMTs and police
- Initiates drug and pregnancy testing for clients when appropriate
- Coordinates transfer to psychiatric hospital when 5585 has been initiated including finding available beds and arranging transport
- Assess status of clients during and after physical restraints
- Attend interdisciplinary meetings
- Current RN license in California, Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing preferred
- Current CPR certification
- Excellent verbal, written and consultation skills
- 1-2 years’ experience in child and adolescent psychiatry and/or crisis triage preferred
Pay Rate: $47.50-$52.25 per hour.