Business Development Manager
This BD Manager (Menlo Park, CA) will be one of a team of BD Managers dedicated to supporting the firm’s industry program, a key strategic priority, on a global basis. The incumbent will work alongside Technology Industry Leads and Relationship Coordinators for the firm’s Technology industry group to provide high quality, proactive business development support to construct and implement an industry strategy – including sub-industry sector strategies – as well as strategies for key clients within the industry group. Additionally, this BD Manager will support and work closely with partners to develop and implement the business development and marketing strategies for the firm’s Bay Area offices. This role will require frequent collaboration with our core services group and other practice groups in the US and internationally, as well as close cooperation and teamwork with other members of the global Marketing and Business Development team.
- Global Industry Oversight and Strategic Planning
- Understand the vision for the Technology group and overall business development objectives of Bay Area partners.
- Work closely with respective partners, Industry Leads and Relationship Coordinators to define, develop and deliver the business development strategy to support the vision for the Technology group as well as other practices and initiatives as needed in the Bay area.
- Project manage global industry plan and client business plans including monitoring and reporting progress, identifying and resolving risks.
- Analyze and report on competitive market position by industry e.g. firm’s market share; ‘share of spend’ with key clients, panel position, client segmentation, etc.
- Research, analyze and report on high level global economic, geopolitical and social trends that impact the Technology sector.
Client Relationship Management
- Work closely with key Client Relationship Coordinators to facilitate Client Relationship Management (CRM) for a select number of key clients.
- Formalize key client relationship mapping.
- Ensure development, implementation and delivery of global client business development plans.
- Proactively monitor client and industry news and trends for revenue generation opportunities and, help drive work origination opportunities with current and prospective clients.
- Analyze existing client relationships using gap analysis to identify and integrate cross selling opportunities across practice groups and other industries.
- Opportunity Management and Pitches
- Project manage panel pitches and other strategically important industry and other pitches.
- Support and coach industry client teams on ‘beauty parade’ rehearsals, collaborating with central pitch team on tactics and strategy.
- Provide industry and/or client related input, as needed, on practice-specific pitches across the platform.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Advanced knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, CRM; familiarity in working with any desktop publishing software would be a plus.
- Confident, flexible and resilient team player. Adapts style to build relationships across all levels.
- Strong business acumen and organizational awareness.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills. Communicates complex ideas effectively.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills. Prioritizes work effectively.
• Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Works effectively under the pressure of deadlines.
- Flexible in regard to work hours as needed.
Education & Experience
- Minimum of 10 years of frontline work experience in industry specific business development and marketing preferably in an international law firm or professional services environment. Must have recent familiarity with the Bay Area market.
- Must have client relationship management experience in a global context.
- Equivalent of 4 year college degree required.
- Relevant graduate degree a plus.
- Experience with client feedback reviews preferred.
- Past success in managing the delivery of quality commercial thought leadership pieces from sector, practice or geographic perspective.