- Confers with special education specialists, technical experts, and other attorneys, including counsel for litigants.
- Negotiates and implements the settlement of claims.
- Reviews and negotiates claims for attorney’s fees.
- Researches state and federal case law and implications for settlement negotiations.
- Works with public advocacy groups, parents and private attorneys to arrive at mutually beneficial settlements.
- Reviews, revises and approves stipulations of settlements.
- Analyzes the relative strength of impartial hearing cases and evaluates the appropriateness of plaintiffs’ demands.
- Acts as a liaison with the Office of Corporation Counsel on attorney’s fee matters.
- 3 - 5 years of settlement negotiation experience
- Experience reviewing and summarizing case material and legal documents
- Attending and participating in court appearances and conferences (settlement conferences are a plus!)
- Admitted and in good standing with the New York State Bar Association