On Call Counsel is seeking an attorney with 2-7 years litigation experience for a contract to hire opportunity. The office location is downtown Brooklyn. In this attorney role, you will focus on settling pre-litigation matters in state court. Candidates must be admitted attorneys to the New York State bar.
• Investigate and respond to notices and/or due process complaints tasks include reviewing internal documents, interviewing staff, and conducting legal research.
• Perform legal research assigned and make recommendations.
• Make recommendations for case direction, including litigation, settlement, or referral for other resolution.
• Review administrative decisions.
• Negotiate, draft, and process stipulations of settlement regarding claims. Such tasks include: review of documents submitted by the opposing counsel and recommend appropriate settlement; researching state and federal case law and implications for settlement negotiations; negotiating settlement with opposing counsel; draft, review, and negotiate language for stipulations of settlements; coordinating and monitor the implementation of stipulated agreements; and review and negotiate claims for attorneys fees.
• Under supervision, prepare and try cases before an administrative hearing officer.
• Litigation tasks may include: selecting and preparing evidence, preparing legal strategies and arguments, preparing witness questions and preparing witnesses for impartial hearings, preparing briefs, motions, legal opinions, affidavits, memoranda, subpoenas, and/or other legal papers.
• Maintain appropriate records on cases filed for impartial hearings, respond to due process complaints, and determine the Departments obligations to parents and students pursuant to impartial hearing orders.
• Gather evidence and assist in researching issues
• Provide and review draft subpoenas, motions, legal research, memoranda, and documents.
• Admission to the New York State Bar
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to understand provisions of applicable laws and regulations.
• Ability to write clearly and concisely.
• Litigation experience.
• Efficient legal research skills.